Thursday, July 23, 2009

Given up: going out on the town in favour of house parties

Dear “Addicted to Africa Diary”....The house warming went off with a bang, although I think my cat (named after the Spice Island of Zanzibar - "Zanz" for short) was a bit freaked when the fireworks started. I was in seventh heaven, as I must have saved at least £50 quid on my usual bar tab (London beer prices, who needs them!!!), but it wasn’t just the travel kitty that had a glint in its eye. Once the rockets started exploding, I closed my eyes and started reminiscing over my last New Year’s Eve in Cape Town. It was a meteoric event of mammoth proportions so how could I forget. We decided to catch up with the vibe at a rooftop party in the V&A Harbour with around 2,500 other people. Yes, just a small gathering!

Despite the entrance fee it was a real buzz, beers being (from memory!!!) only a pound. I don’t think our small display could quite beat the fireworks that night – the sky was constantly ablaze with colour, reds, blues, greens and yellows shooting into the ether. Table Mountain was outlined in the distance and still a pretty impressive sight, even under cover of darkness.

People weren’t just partying in the clubs – the streets were filled with New Year revelers. If there’s one thing I discovered, it’s that the South African’s sure know how to put on a party, and I was glad that I’d decided to end my overland trip with a city stay. While a great night was had by all on our first housewarming (we’re thinking of making this a regular event), Africa, I’m still missing you…

Amelia Smith...

Saving up for your next Africa trip...any great ideas on how to generate more cash for Amelia's travel kitty? From the weird to the wonderful we're all ears...

No comments: