Tuesday, July 14, 2009

According to Andy "the great outdoorsman from the Veldt," Spitzkoppe rocks


Beam me up Scottie, (he chortles into the iPod) OK, I’m not a major "trekkie" fan and I don’t dress up as “Spock” at the weekends, but the red rock landscape at Spitzkoppe looks like it came straight out of the hit science fiction series.   It’s pretty out there – in fact, it’s kind of like landing on Mars.  The Matterhorn of Africa, which strangely enough – resembles a horn – is around 1595m, and rises up out of nowhere above the desert floor – impressive or what! I’ve just had a quick run around the rocks thrown in a bit of impromtu bouldering and checked out some San Bushman paintings…

Camera at the ready now to catch the glorious sunset…I’m currently cranking out some tunes from the iPod and I’m waiting for Psychodelia to touch down in Namibia – as all colours of the kaleidoscope are due to start bouncing of the rocks.

My top tip – Head overland on the 19-day Desert Tracker, grab yourself a beer at the “Rock On Rock” concert – OK there might be a few short-lived power cuts, but remember guys you’re in the middle of the desert!  After which you should go totally wild – grab your sleeping bag and camp out under the stars…

No comments: