Thursday, August 13, 2009

Giving up: a few pounds from the travel kitty and getting into the spirit of FIFA 2010


Dear “Addicted to Africa Diary”…Our football team has been aptly titled “Girls just wanna’ have fun." Yes, I know it’s kind of cheesy, but I’ll let you into a secret, this wasn’t my suggestion :) I’m now committed to the position of striker so those early stints at university must have paid off. After scoring twice in the last session I’m now ready to put my skills to good use on the next overland tour.

We’ll be kicking off the 2010 celebrations in style and participating in some adhoc matches with the locals en route. It should be a great ice-breaker and it's all thanks to “Footballs For Fun” an organisation which is hoping to spread the word about 2010, create a sense of involvement across Africa and also contribute to various charities on the continent in one fowl swoop. You could say overlanding with Acacia now comes with a feel good factor :)

All we have to do is buy a ball at the start of the tour costing just £10 each. With 24 people overlanding together I think I can break into the kitty for that! The idea is to leave the ball behind as a gift, and knowing that my travel kitty cash is going to help some needy causes on the continent is a real buzz. Africa – here we go…

N.B. TOMORROW is the day I've been waiting for. The 14 August is the date for the Big Five Flash Sale – 12-5pm BST – must make a mental note not to forget…

Amelia Smith...

Saving up for your next Africa trip...any great ideas on how to generate more cash for Amelia's travel kitty? From the weird to the wonderful we're all ears...

No comments: