Thursday, August 6, 2009

Given up: gym membership for long walks in central London


Dear “Addicted to Africa Diary”…when my gym membership came up for renewal I had to take a long hard look at myself. Well, we all start off with good intentions, but I know over the last 12 months I’ve only managed to work out on the very rare occasion – mainly due to the guilt ridden anxiety attack that surfaces every time I read my bank statements. Then again having spoken to a few friends I know I’m not alone in this :)

Let's just say I'm not going to renew, as we housemates have decided to take long walks and see more of the UK capital instead. Being a free exercise, the travel kitty will no doubt be bulging at the sides come my next trip. After last Sunday’s expedition from Green Park through to Trafalgar Square – a two hour stint - I was raring to go. OK so the BBQ summer is out - but the weather’s been hotter than the Bahamas recently and my mind drifted back to my tour of the Bougmez Valley in the High Atlas Mountains. Of course, St. James’ Park can’t compete with one of the best-kept secrets in Morocco, where we spent four days hiking amongst high craggy peaks and grassy plateaus. Our tour group passed by nomads who were grazing their herds of sheep, goats and camels, but the main highlight had to be visiting some of the local Berber families en route – the trip topped off with a hammam in Marrakesh. Africa, I’m all yours…

Amelia Smith...

Saving up for your next Africa trip...any great ideas on how to generate more cash for Amelia's travel kitty? From the weird to the wonderful we're all ears...

No comments: