Yes, it’s Earth Day adventurers, so we thought we’d run off a brief top 30 list as a guide to staying green out on the road. Featuring everything from what to take to how to travel this is a pretty comprehensive starter for ten, but if you’ve got an innovative idea you'd like to throw into the mix, come join us on the blog, Facebook or Twitter!
1. Use refillable water bottles
2. Pack recycled toilet tissue
3. Bring a solar charger for all your "techy" must haves
4. Use public transport (our fave, chilling on the colorful matatus in Nairobi!)
5. Shop in local markets, avoid chains
6. Visit a few charity stores before the off! Dig deep as you might well find some awesome travel treasures
7. Take rechargeable batteries
8. Tie your trip into local events and make a greater contribution to the local community
9. If you’re travelling independently quiz the hostel on their ethical commitment
10. Use a quick dry antibacterial towel and re-use
11. Pack light, as less weight will minimise fuel costs
12. Buy a backpack that’s made from recyclable materials
13. Take shorter showers
14. Buy fresh food and avoid packaging
15. Use biodegradable cleaning products
16. Wind up torches might sound archaic, but they definitely get a green thumbs up!
17. Swap books with your fellow adventurers out on tour, and look out for book exchanges in hostels
19. Bring reusable containers to cut down on food wastage
20. Get off the beaten track, but follow the designated trails
21. Recycle your travel gear and guides on your return
22. Choose an environmentally friendly sunscreen
23. Take a little of the lingo with you...
24. Locate a recommended greening organisation, work out your mileage and send a donation to cover your carbon footprint
25. Turn off and uplug
26. Choose an itinerary where you can voluntour and give back to the community or conservation project
28. Choose destinations and projects that share your green commitment
29. Eco-blog & tweet about it – tell the world about all your interesting project visits and local experiences – Spread the word!
30. Enjoy your adventure, but leave no trace…